Thursday, February 20, 2014

How I've fixed the periodic crashing IE problem

Hi there,

Today I've finally managed to fix the crashing IE problem, under Windows 8.1. So decided to share my experience, hoping for some of you out there - this post will be in help.
But first, let me give you a bit of history.

Frankly saying, I'm a Microsoft fan. Yes, I do work in Microsoft as a software developer.
So you guessed already, that I do use Windows - I love it ! I have had a chance to play with other OS-s as well, so please - no comments about "you haven't seen others".
So, my machine was running Windows 7 for a while already. And one day - Microsoft announces the availability of Windows 8 Preview. Of course - I do install it (on a VM for now). I guess it took some time for me to get used to it, and eventually, I liked it as well. Then - the release, and, as expected, I'm upgrading my main OS to it immediately.
Let me tell you the truth - that was the best OS upgrade experience I've ever went through. No issues, no hassles - and everything works: everything except the most used product - the Internet Explorer, which keeps crashing periodically - about 50 times a day.
Well, I now realize, that my laziness was keeping me away from trying to look into the actual problem, and fix it. So I was just tolerating that, and using it again and again. By the way, the non-desktop version of IE was ok, no crashes, no issues. And I started using that one more and more.
And finally, the final crash made me so angry, that I've forgot about my laziness, and decided to dig deeper.
First thing was to open the Windows Event Log (Windows Logs \ Application), and look for most recent errors: luckily the only errors were from IE (those I've been hitting). And the error message was very similar to:

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.16518, time stamp: 0x52f347b2
Faulting module name: <module name>, version: <module version>, time stamp: 0x513d9755
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00046ce7
Faulting process id: 0x4280
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2df55b897962
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
Faulting module path: <the path to the failing module>
Report Id: 9aa55680-99e8-11e3-bf29-c48508058295
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:


Looking to the "Faulting module path" I guess will give you a clear picture - of what is really failing. In my case that was a file download application. I've then just uninstalled that application, and it's already 4 hours (I would have about 15 crashes already) - no issues.
Hopefully you'll be able to handle this now.

Sorry for non development related post.

Regards,
Artak
Post a Comment